Understanding Medical Malpractice

Though individuals seek healthcare treatment for ailments, many healthcare providers fail to provide proper treatment. In some situations, their negligence gets in the way of a patient’s recovery. This negligence is known as medical malpractice.

Medical malpractice is the act of a healthcare specialized failing to meet specialized standards set in the healthcare field. Healthcare providers are expected to exercise reasonable care when treating their patients, but some become negligent and fail to do so.

Malpractice may occur in a number of ways. Some of the most shared forms of malpractice include:

  • Misdiagnosing a patient’s ailment
  • Incorrectly treating an ailment
  • Leaving a patient unmonitored
  • Failing to treat a patient in a timely manner

When malpractice occurs, it usually results in harsh injury or already death for the affected patient. These injuries may consequence in serious long term health effects.

Though commonly thought that only doctors are the only healthcare providers capable of malpractice, this is not the case. In fact, any healthcare provider may commit malpractice.

Depending on what the malpractice was, the guilty individual may be a doctor, nurse, orderly, therapist, or anyone else that comes into contact with the patient to treat him or her.

For an act to be considered malpractice, the patient’s condition usually has to be worse than it before was. If a patient’s position does not change as a consequence of mistreatment, it may be difficult to prove malpractice.

When you are the victim of medical malpractice, the healthcare provider whose negligence led to your injury is usually to blame. You may be entitled to financial compensation if you decide to file a malpractice lawsuit against that individual.

Medical malpractice often leaves a patient in a worse condition. If you or someone you love suffered by an injury caused by a healthcare provider’s negligence, consult with the experienced Pennsylvania medical malpractice attorneys of Lowenthal & Abrams, P.C.

Leave a Reply