The possums in Brisbane are becoming more and more shared and are invading more houses each year. We are seeing more and more possums in the suburbs where they haven’t been seen before. They are now moving into our roofs and ceilings, keeping us awake at night and urinating and defecating everywhere. Not only that possums like fresh fruit and veggies too so the gardens are really coping a hiding.
What damage can they do?
Possums will chew by woodwork and already the edge of fibro to gain access to your ceiling. Especially if they have been living there for a while. I have seen them pull chicken wire out of the hole to get back in.
Let get some truths about Possums.
- Possums live in your roof during the day and go out at night to satisfy.
- Possums are very territorial, which method they will fight for their home.
- Possums are protected in Australia and it is an offence to harm them
- If you catch or trap a possum you must release it on your character NOT TAKE IT DOWN THE ROAD AND DROP IT INTO THE BUSH
- Possums will most times return already if you do take them away, that’s if they don’t end up dying in a territorial fight with another possum
- If left in your roof they can ultimately do major damage to your ceiling which will cost you a lot more than the cost of having them removed and the house possum proofed.
- Just removing a possum won’t fix your problem. If the possum doesn’t make it back another will move in
Now let’s look at some myths about Possums. I continue to here people tell me about things they have tried, to stop possums from staying in their roof. Often it’s the neighbor or friend who has these possum proofing tips.
- Putting a strong light in the roof
- using moth balls
- trying high frequency noises
- spraying everything from garlic to chillies and White King
The bottom line is that non of these things work.
The thing with possums is that they will sit, watch and see if anything is going to be dangerous. If it looks OK they will probe. Keep looking until they work out that everything is OK and they will begin again as past.
The most effective possum removal technique?
There is really on one way to be certain that possum removal will be successful is to seal the entry point with materials that a possum won’t ever get back by. Be careful of not to trap the possum in your roof.
To find out more about what you can do to get rid of possums from your roof go to http://www.mrpossum.com