Hong Kong media outlet Citizen News to shut down: ‘We are helpless’ – …

A Hong Kong online news site said Sunday that it would cease operations in light of deteriorating press freedoms, days after police raided and arrested seven people for sedition at a separate pro-democracy news outlet.

Citizen News announced its decision in a Facebook post Sunday. It said it would stop updating its site on Jan. 4, and it would be shuttered after that.

Read more:

Canadian Denise Ho released on bail after Hong Kong police raid Stand News

“We have always loved this land, but at present, we are helpless as we are not only facing wind and rain, but tornadoes and huge groups,” it said in a statement.

“We have never forgotten our original intentions, but it is a pity that the rapid changes in society in the past two years and the decline of the media ecosystem have prevented us from achieving our ideals without worry.”

Story continues below advertisement






BC MP condemns Hong Kong arrests of pro-democracy journalists


BC MP condemns Hong Kong arrests of pro-democracy journalists

Citizen News is the third news outlet to close in recent months, following pro-democracy newspaper Apple Daily and online site Stand News. Authorities have moved to silent dissent in the semi-independent city, once known as a center for vibrant media outlets, after Beijing implemented a sweeping national security law following enormous pro-democracy protests in 2019.

Read more:

Hong Kong police charge 2 Stand News editors with sedition a day after raiding outlet

The impending closure of Citizen News came days after authorities raided Stand News and arrested seven people – including editors and former board members – for allegedly conspiring to publish seditious material. Stand News announced on the same day that it would cease to function.

Two of Stand News’ former editors were later formally charged with sedition.

Story continues below advertisement

In December, the opposition was shut out from elections under a new law that puts all candidates to a loyalty test, and monuments commemorating the bloody 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown in Beijing were taken down.

The U.S. and other Western government have condemned diminishing press and civil freedoms that Beijing promised to uphold for 50 years following Hong Kong’s 1997 handover from Britain.

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam last week defended the raid on Stand News, telling reporters that “inciting other people … could not be condoned under the guise of news reporting.”




© 2022 The Canadian Press



Click: See details

Leave a Reply