Head Lice Resistant to Treatments

Head Lice are becoming resistant to many of the over the counter products used to treat them. This was a news headline last week. Unfortunately, that isn’t news. Head Lice have been heading down this path for quite some time now.

Head Lice are nasty little parasites that bite humans in order to copy. They lay nits (eggs) all along the hair shafts which hatch and cause exponential population growth. They affect up to 12 million kids each year in the U.S. and are most easily spread by head to head contact. Any parent who has experienced these monsters won’t soon forget it – it is a nightmare!

The over-the-counter products specifically labeled to treat Head Lice are a very thin range of options. They are either fipronil or permethrin packaged by a very small handful of pharmaceutical companies. They go by different names, different packaging and a variety of chemical pseudonyms but close examination discloses active elements of one of these two synthetic pesticides.

And therein lies the meaningful issue here – synthetic pesticides. Synthetic pesticides will ALWAYS lose effectiveness due to the scientific occurrence known as Pesticide Resistance.

Pesticide Resistance occurs when a pest population is exposed to a synthetic pesticide. A certain quantity of pests will automatically be immune to the false substance. This small percentage of resistant pests passes that immunity to their offspring. Since pests copy quickly, pretty soon the complete pest population is completely resistant to that synthetic pesticide. This reaction will ALWAYS occur with synthetic pesticides.

Pesticide Resistance occurs because the pesticide is fake. It is a man-made, does-not-exist-in character material that will interact and behave differently than natural substances. Pests do not have biological checks and balances in place to react to these false substances. Instead, the pests bypass their toxicity.

The great majority of pesticides in use today fall into this category. If a product loses the ability to control pests, is that really a big deal?

I IS a big deal and here is why: synthetic pesticides are dangerous to humans and the ecosystem. They may lose effectiveness against Head Lice, but they are nevertheless neuro-toxic substances capable of inflicting harm to the child being treated. These synthetic pesticides are designed to affect the brains of pests and also affect brains of people. Accumulated synthetic pesticides are the cause for increased rates of ADHD, Autism, Alzheimer’s, etc. If a child has Head Lice and you slather the scalp with a synthetic, poisonous pesticide, well think about it. The end consequence is the Head Lice won’t be affected – but the child will!

Natural substances do not behave this way – they are designed by character to do the job and continue their strength. Choose a natural pest control product that works and that is safe. Effective, safe control for Head Lice – now that is worthy of a headline!

Leave a Reply