You grow and your needs grow with you!
If you are a homeowner, you will realize that your energy consumption has increased phenomenally. In the olden days, homeowners used gas appliances for daily chores. Today, electrical appliances are quite shared. And, it has increased the energy consumption of every household.
It has become necessary to opt for an electrical service upgrade because it ensures safe and uninterrupted energy consumption. It is important to remember that the time of action is not a DIY job because it is not limited to applying with your local utility for increasing the service. It involves ascertaining the electrical requirement of your home, obtaining permit from the local authorities, installing a new grounding system, etc. If you decide on the upgrade, you will have to consider changing the main panel of your home so that it can take the load of additional strength supply.
Should I opt for an Electrical Service Upgrade?
Increase in number of electrical appliances is not the only reason for saying yes to an electrical service upgrade. There are several other reasons for making the decision. Consider the following things to make a wise decision:
· Are you considering a home addition project in the near future?
· Are you thinking of using the basement as a rental unit?
· Are you replacing a heat pump or buying a big refrigerator?
· Do fuses blow frequently in your home?
· Do lights flicker?
· Do circuit breakers trip regularly?
· Do you need a GFCI installed in one of the rooms?
· Is your insurance provider asking you to consider the upgrade?
Remember that taking care of the electrical system of your home is not a luxury. If you do not continue it, it can cause fire and loss of life. Do not hesitate in calling a licensed electrician. He will calculate the electrical requirement of your home and help you with the time of action.
How to ascertain the Electrical Requirement of your Home?
If you are using an old character, you may have 60 amps or 100 amps service. Usually, a modern home requires at the minimum 200 amps service. But, it is better to contact an electrician for calculating the accurate electrical requirement of your home. He will consider the following things before making a decision:
· Total square meter area of the character
· Heating loads
· Air-conditioning loads
· Use of water heaters
· Electric means charging equipment loads
· Additional loads
· Minimum service size
· Regulation policy of the local authorities
· Policy of the insurance provider
Once he considers each and every aspect of your home, he will be able to give you a clear idea of the electrical requirement of your home. It is also called need calculation. Your local utility or inspection agency will require a copy of the need calculation. So, make sure that the electrician provides you with adequate copies of the document.
Preparation is the meaningful
Electricity has become one of the basic necessities for sustaining a comfortable life. And, when you opt for an electrical service upgrade, you will be able to enjoy the benefits of uninterrupted energy consumption. But, remember that thorough preparation is necessary for success. Here’s how you can prepare your home for the time of action:
· acquire permission from the local authorities in addition as your community.
· You will be unable to acquire strength supply for at the minimum four hours. So, make sure that you charge all the electrical appliances such mobiles, laptops, etc. beforehand.
· Empty the refrigerator and freezer.
· Intermittent strength supply can harm your electrical appliances. So, do not forget to unplug them.
· Keep the area near the main panel clean. Also, ensure that you provide the electrician with easy access to water meter and water tank.
· The electrician will require strength supply to conduct his work. So, position for an extension cord with the help of your neighbor.
· Keep flashlights and candles handy.
Thorough preparation and skill of a licensed electrician are the meaningful points for a successful electrical service upgrade. So, plan the time of action properly and get ready to enjoy safe and uninterrupted energy consumption.